Quantity Surveyor – Plymouth
We have an exciting opportunity for a Quantity Surveyor to join a nationwide consultancies Plymouth office. We have outlined the job criteria below, however, the level of the role is flexible so we are open to hearing from applicants looking for an Assistant level position through to experienced QS’s looking for a senior role.
The Quantity Surveyor will be a good communicator and possess excellent numeracy skills to handle the financial and mathematical demands of the role. Given the demands of the construction world and its frequent challenges, you will be able to demonstrate innovative approaches to problem-solving and an ability to negotiate across the various levels of any construction environment.
The Quantity Surveyor will assist in the cost management of a building project – from initial estimates, cost plans and tender documents, right through to the final account. The role is focussed on providing clients with ‘value for money’ while adhering to the strict regulations which govern every aspect of the construction industry.
• A wide breadth of experience is necessary as the Company workload covers the full spectrum of industry sectors such as residential development /mixed-use projects, hotels, education, healthcare, student accommodation and infrastructure projects.
• Proficient in estimating, producing budgets and cost plans.
• Key member of the tender document production process including being part of, and sometimes leading, a measurement team.
• Assisting with and running projects post contract including carrying out interim valuations and certification, cost reporting and agreeing final accounts.
• Ability to participate in site progress meetings including taking minutes and chairing meetings.
• General contract administration (including issuing all necessary contract certification).
• Site visits, assessments and projections for future work.
• The role will require direct interaction with other consultants, the client, other stakeholders and the public and they will need to be professional in their work and appearance.
• Fee management and monitoring of job profitability.
What we are looking for?
• Ongoing structured training towards becoming a Chartered Quantity Surveyor.
• A basic understanding of arithmetic, including use of a calculator, addition, subtraction, division and multiplication. A minimum qualification level in mathematics is GCSE Grade C.
• Computer literate including the use of the standard Microsoft Office Suite of programmes.
• Training in the use of our bespoke software packages including digital measurement will be provided.
• Client facing skills essential.
• Analytical skills – the ability to analyse and sort data into an understandable form.
• Ability to work with the minimum of supervision, to a high standard.
• Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team. Excellent inter-personal and team working skills, motivated and productive attitude.
• Ability to prioritise and undertake a range of tasks.
• A positive, flexible attitude.
• Good organisational skills.
What’s in it for you?
• Competitive Package.
• Established, local consultancy with reach throughout the South West.
• Autonomy with excellent admin support.
• Open plan office space.
For more information on this role and others we may have please call Daniel Wright for an informal chat. Due to the high number of applications, if you have not received a reply within 7 days, please assume you have not been successful on this occasion. We will keep your details on file for future roles. Thank you.
Girling Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.