Have you been waiting for the RIGHT job to come up? One which offers a work-life balance with flexible working patterns, a generous pension and the ability to purchase additional annual leave?
We are currently recruiting for a Senior Structural Engineer for our client’s AWARD-WINNING team in their Yate, South Gloucestershire office. We are looking for an experienced engineer to join the team which manages highway & open space structures. You will report to the Structures Manager and you will manage up to 3 more junior team members along with contractors as necessary. We are looking for someone who has a minimum of 5 year’s experience as a Structural Engineer to join their team. The position will involve you leading the team carrying out project management, design, specification and supervision of major maintenance, improvement or strengthening of existing structures.
Roles & Responsibilities
- To lead a portfolio of projects.
- Responsible for structures projects with estimated contract values between £300k – £1.5 million
- Deliver technical enforcement and regulation services within the context of the business plan and specific project objectives.
- To lead & supervise a small team.
- Give technical advice & guidance, support & training to colleagues to ensure performance objectives are achieved.
- Organise and control the work and budget of teams to ensure targets & standards are met.
- Develop innovative solutions to technical issues & implement them.
- Interpretation and application of the relevant structural design & assessment codes, codes of practice and published technical literature.
- Interpretation and application of the H&S regulations and construction, design and management regulations.
- Provide specialist advice to other teams & departments.
- Delivering innovative structures utilising new material and construction techniques.
- Deliver cost effective solutions whilst minimising future long term maintenance liabilities.
- Support & provide advice to senior managers.
- Mediate & negotiate satisfactory outcomes to complaints & other issues.
- Identify & secure resources whilst allocating them effectively
- Prepare & deliver reports
- Responding to public queries
- Minimum of 5 year’s experience
- Membership as a Chartered or Incorporated Engineer of an appropriate professional institution
- Hold a degree in a Civil Engineering related discipline
- Significant experience in Highways & open space structures
- Significant experience with DMRB, MCDHW & relevant codes of practice
- Able to inspect structures to ensure they comply with approved drawings & designs.
- Able to carry out structural design work with minimal supervision
- Able to keep up to date project programs using software such as Microsoft Project
- Able to motivate other members of the team
- Demonstrable knowledge of software packages such as Superstress, Advance Design, CSC, TEDDS, Scale, AutoCAD, Mapinfo & MS Office packages
- Experience planning & progressing work activities within guidelines & policies
- Good verbal & written communication skills including report writing & explaining technical issues to non-technical audiences
- Clean driving licence to ensure you can travel to sites across South Gloucestershire
- Project Management Qualifications
- Able to carry out topographical surveys
- NVQ L4 in Management
- MSc or MEng in Civil Engineering (or similar)
In return, you will receive a generous salary of between £35,900 – £38,800, a 37 hour week, flexible working, 25 days annual leave + bank holidays, great pension scheme & possible relocation package (subject to terms & conditions).
Girling Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.