About the Company
CORMAC Solutions Limited is an arm’s length company wholly owned by Cornwall Council. The Group is mainly responsible for the project management and delivery of major and minor highway and traffic civil engineering projects to both internal and external clients. Their Engineering Design Team delivers a wide range of services and projects funded through either the Local Transport Plan, in partnership with outside bodies or through winning commercial competitive contracts.
About the Role
This role will play a significant part in ensuring the timely and efficient provision of works relating to CORMAC Solutions Limited’s engineering and construction operations. It will be influential in how successful the business is, how efficiently works schedules and programmes are completed and ultimately how the business and Cornwall Council are perceived by the user. The work carried out includes feasibility studies, environmental assessments, the development of detailed designs and specifications for projects, and the procurement of schemes through a range of tendering procedures. The team comprises chartered, incorporated and technician engineers, technicians, land surveyors, landscape architects, draughtspersons and support staff offering a high quality, customer focused and cost effective service.
- The design, coordination and implementation of Highways and Transportation Infrastructure.
- Contributing to the countywide management of Technical Services and delivery of engineering and environmental design and works programmes.
- To assist the Highways and Transportation Infrastructure Design Manager in the management of the engineering element of the Strategic Partnership Contract and to undertake the role of Project Director for Strategic and Major projects.
- To assist in the development of the Highways and Transportation Infrastructure Design business and to contribute to the development of policy and procedures in line with Best value and LTP objectives.
- To manage staff to ensure projects and programmes are delivered in accordance with Client requirements and LTP objectives.
- To provide support in business matters to the Highways and Transportation Infrastructure Design Manager and drive a customer and client focused team culture, integrated into the Technical Service.
We are seeking candidates with successful and consistent achievement in leadership in an engineering design related area. You will have the following skills and attributes:
- Chartered/Incorporated Engineer or relevant transport or infrastructure related professional qualification or demonstrate evidence of working towards such qualification.
- A track record of successfully managing, implementing and delivering projects in line with strategies, policies and practices during significant cultural and structural change that deliver improved services for customers / service users in a more efficient way.
- Significant experience of developing partnership working, building effective relationships and enhancing the reputation of the Council with stakeholders and partners in both the private sector and public sector.
- Significant experience in commissioning and managing sub consultants.
- Experience in contract preparation and procurement, particularly under NEC3.
- A first hand working knowledge of performance management culture, supported by effective and efficient management information systems.
- Proven experience of financial management with a track record of driving efficiencies and meeting financial targets.
- Significant experience and knowledge of health and safety requirements, risk management and principles of project management.
What’s in it for you?
- Normally when people talk about ‘benefits’ they really mean the little extras that make your work life easier and your personal life more rewarding.
- Well, we mean more than that. Our benefits package is complete and includes a support network and training schemes which are already recognised as being first class.
- You receive a competitive salary which is reviewed annually as part of a pay award. Going forward we are introducing a new structure to the way we pay our staff enabling you to benefit from your performance and the contribution you make to the company.
- We offer a defined contribution pension scheme, so you determine the contribution rate you pay. Whatever the rate, we will pay 6% of pensionable pay into your pension fund.
- Our annual holiday entitlement starts at 23 days rising to 28 days, plus statutory bank holidays pro-rated if you work part time. We also offer enhanced maternity, adoption and paternity leave, the option to purchase additional leave and sickness absence provisions.
- We want to give you the chance to vary your working patterns as and when circumstances change in your life. We are committed to flexible working, allowing you to make the most of the wonderful Cornish environment as well as enhance your every day work. When you want more choices than the normal 9-5 pattern allows, there is scope for part-time working, job sharing and term-time working, as well as evening, weekend work and career breaks”
Girling Jones Ltd is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.