LONDON OR BRISTOL
Job purpose: Client facing role delivering a range of projects (residential, education, community and health, heritage, university and colleges) and procurement methods; traditional, design and construct contracts.
Resource allocation and management to complete jobs to agreed deadlines.
Management and mentoring of staff.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Deliver innovative, sustainable, efficient, safe, practical and intelligent structural engineering solutions on all projects and other activities, appropriate to the stage and type of project.
- Assist in the day to day management of engineers and technicians to produce complete, coordinated and high-quality project information (calculations, drawings, specifications and other documents) on time and on budget to meet agreed deadlines.
- Undertake multi-discipline design & coordination activities with all relevant members of the design team.
- Ensure reviews are conducted sufficiently in advance of all deadlines, such that any necessary amendments can comfortably be completed prior to issue as agreed.
- Ensure all designs are thoroughly checked independently by other engineers, and ensure all errors are corrected prior to issue of the documents.
- Ensure Health and Safety is considered at all stages of the design process such that the designs produced minimise risk during construction while exceeding the client/architect’s expectations.
- Ensure that adequate notes are added to drawings so that all unusual risks, that cannot be eliminated from the design, are highlighted to the contractor, and any specific methods of working or sequencing are described clearly.
- To liaise with Architects, clients and the rest of the design team, to ensure that efficient and integrated structural solutions are produced on all projects, which are sensitive to the architectural intent.
- Maintain good, clear and proactive communication with all relevant members of the design team, to ensure they are aware of our progress and agree realistic dates of issue.
- Attend design team, site and client meetings, as required.
- Keep full and accurate written records of all meetings attended, telephone discussions etc, in the appropriate project file.
- Ensure high standards of presentation are maintained in all documents issued.
- Prepare and issue bids and fee proposals for new projects that are competitive and profitable as agreed with relevant parties.
- At all times work safely, ensuring your own safety and that of others in the Company.
- At all times work within all Company procedures and protocols.
- Undertake other duties as reasonably requested by the Company.
Person specification – Knowledge/experience/qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil or structural engineering.
- Proven working experience within the field of structural engineering.
- Proficient with AutoCAD.
- Decisive with excellent critical thinking skills.
Personal attributes and skills required to perform in the job effectively – Ability to:
- Demonstrate strong commercial awareness.
- Employ effective communication skills, both verbal, written and by email.
- Establish effective relationships with clients and fellow team members.
- Work methodically and accurately.
- Work well on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Multi-task, prioritise and manage time effectively.
- Be flexible to meet deadlines.
- Remain calm when under pressure.
- Have a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Think outside of the box.